“I started seeing children with mouth covers, mothers with scarves wrapped around their heads to cover their baldness, due to chemotherapy…There are soybeans to the north, to the south, and to the east, and when they spray, they spray over the people because there’s no distance,” Sofia Gatica said to a Grist reporter.
Monsanto’s genetically modified soy fields that surrounded her neighborhood, laced with damaging insecticides negatively affecting nearby neighborhood children and adults alike.
From this point, the courageous mother decided to take on Monsanto. Forming a group of concerned mothers in her local area of Ituzaingó after hosting an event at her home to discuss her experiences, the mother would be one of the very few who has actually beat Monsanto.
As a result of the serious campaign to eradicate Monsanto, the mothers were rewarded. Argentina’s Supreme Court not only banned chemical spraying near populated areas, but demanded that the government as well as soy manufacturers now prove that these chemicals are safe. Sofia Gatica is now being honored for her great environmental work with the Goldman Environmental prize, a major environmental award given to activists. The story shows just how serious activism can take down most any threat — even Monsanto. Source
- Mother Stands up to Monsanto (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- The mother who stood up to Monsanto in Argentina (grist.org)
- Woman Receives Anonymous Threats after Opposing Monsanto (activistpost.com)
- Don’t Let Monsanto Destroy the Environment (forcechange.com)
- Monsanto’s Corruption Exposed (yourdailyinsight.wordpress.com)
- Monsanto’s Blatant Corruption and Disregard for Health (activistpost.com)
- Monsanto ‘Biotechnology Book for Kids’ Caught Brainwashing Children (activistpost.com)
- 37 Reasons to Avoid Genetically Modified Foods (blacklistednews.com)