The terms “genetically modified organism” (GMO) and “genetically modified foods” (GM foods) refer to plants or animals whose genes have been changed in the laboratory by scientists. All living organisms have genes written in their DNA. They are the chemical instructions for building and maintaining life. By modifying the genes, scientists can alter the characteristics of an organism. In agriculture, genetic engineering allows simple genetic traits to be transferred to crop plants from wild relatives, other distantly related plants, or virtually any other organism. Manipulating the genetics of foods is not new.
- Michael Murray, N.D. and Joseph Pizzorno, N.D., The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
What is GMO?
Non-GMO Projects reports For consumers, it can be difficult to stay up-to-date on food ingredients that are at-risk of being genetically modified, as the list of at-risk agricultural ingredients is frequently changing. As part of the Non-GMO Project’s commitment to informed consumer choice, we work diligently to maintain an accurate list of risk ingredients.
High-Risk Crops (in commercial production; ingredients derived from these must be tested every time prior to use in Non-GMO Project Verified products (as of December 2011): Click here to Read List
What is GMO?
Genetically modified (GM) foods may look and feel the same as conventional foods, but they are drastically (and possibly harmfully) different. These types of foods have been altered by taking the genetic material (DNA) from one species and transferring it into another in order to obtain a desired trait. The FDA does not require any safety testing or any labeling of GM foods, and introducing new genes into a fruit or vegetable may very well be creating unknown results such as new toxins, new bacteria, new allergens, and new diseases.”
– M.D. David Brownstein, The Guide to Healthy Eating
- Kashi Contains GMOs? (carmichaelpersonaltrainer.com)
- Reasons to Avoid Gmo Foods (kojoreport.com)
- New study on Monsanto corn suggests GMO trees could devastate forest ecosystems (familysurvivalprotocol.wordpress.com)
- Frankenfood, Coming To A Table Near You! (butterflyjulz.wordpress.com)
- 4 Tips to Avoid Foods Made with Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) (befitwithkristen.com)
- The controversy of genetically modified foods (GMO) (greenholisticliving.wordpress.com)
- The Genetically Modified Food You Eat Every Day (zionistoutrage.com)
- Are Genetically Modified Foods Causing Epigenetic Toxicosis? (judyancheta.wordpress.com)
- Non-GMO Shopping Guide. (elephantjournal.com)
- Monsanto, Already ‘Most Evil Company of 2011′, Buys Bee Research Company to Hide Ills (geardiary.com)
- New GMOs Poised to Destroy Farmer’s Market Favorites (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- What’s in our food and what are GMOs? (thelittlegreenplaypen.wordpress.com)